7/8/12

COUNTDOWN TO IRONMAN HAWAII…

14 weeks to Kona…

I have immersed myself deep into training now, and things are beginning to get a little chaotic between working, coaching, training, and resting – but that’s the way it goes, and I wouldn’t have  it any other way!
This week I was able to put the most run miles in since training for Boston in April.  The foot is holding up ok, but not without some minor pain and discomfort and a lot of focus on technique and stride.  I find myself still gimpy in the beginning of a run, but after a few miles, I feel like I can settle into a nice low pain effort. 
ALWAYS ADJUSTING.
Training for an Ironman often requires a lot of adjusting along the way.  Interestingly enough, the race itself can require a lot of adjusting along the way as well.  Things seldom go as planned (in BOTH training and racing), and the reality is when you push the limits, crazy things are bound to happen.  If you have mentally prepared yourself in training to handle those circumstances when the pop up in racing, then you are prepared to make the proper adjustments to overcome and succeed.  I suppose life is like that too.  Adjust and move forward.  Always.  Keep on…

There is no cookie cutter recipe to prepare for an Ironman.  Sure, there are books, generic training principles, armchair coaches…but each individual’s set of life circumstances, their bodies, and each race presents its own set of challenges.  Managing them is part of the challenge and one of the things I LOVE about coaching and my own racing – it’s not just about achieving goals.  It’s what you (or I) had to overcome to achieve that goal.  What was learned along the way?  Was the price paid worth it?
WEEKEND TRAINING.

This weekend started a bit rough.  Friday was my day off and I woke up feeling a lot of pressure to accomplish a lot of things I put off during the week so I could get training in.  All day I felt this crazy pressure, but continued to remind myself to relax, let the day play out and JUST do what I could.  The day turned out pretty well, but honestly, I had a hard time calling it a rest day…

Saturday morning, 4am.  The alarm goes off.  At this point, I actually wondered if I had it in me today to do my long training.  I was exhausted.   This is NOT how I want to feel after a day off, but it is what it is.  I suppose the difference between me and someone not like me is that I got up to train anyway.  I admit, I did sit on the side of the bed for a moment and considered changing the weekend up a bit so I could go back to sleep, but that voice in my head said go – overcome, and get it done.  It’s a funny thing, and perhaps something I should not admit, but I often take motivation from hearing the negative excuses from others who don’t achieve BIG goals.  I see how they fall short – I don’t want to fall short.  I will not fall into that trap.  GET UP, AND GO.
The day started off a bit rough.  I was a little late for my ride, kinda crabby (who me?? lol), and the first 20 miles were mentally rough.  I suppose most folks would have used every ounce of crap I had in the first 3 hours of my day as a reason to go home, quit, and call it a day – but I just went with it.  Just go out there, get the miles in and see what happens.  Sometimes you have to get through the muck to get to the glory.  Yup, just keep on…
Sure enough, as the ride unfolded, I began to find an awesome grove and got my 100+ mile ride in followed by a 4mile run and a 3k swim.  It turned out to be a strong day.  And to think how it started…
I don’t know why I am surprised, but today (Sunday) started out rough as well.  Before my alarm went off, the thunder had me up.  There were some serious storms rolling through…I was hoping they would be done by the time I was ready to run.  We haven’t had much rain in months – surely this would just pass.  It did – but then another one rolled in.
I started my run at 6.  No rain and just a few clouds.  The thunder started at about mile 1, the rain about mile 2, the lightening about mile 3, then at about 3.5, the tree that got struck and the car alarms that were going off sent me for cover in the garage of a stranger’s house.  Ok, so I admit, running in puddles of water while soaking wet near a marina in a lightning storm started to scare me a little.   I stayed there for about 20 minutes watching the storm -- the electricity was like something I have never seen.  After a while, it seemed like it was passing, but no, I was wrong.  It was only getting started.   It was HUGE.  I ran back to the car as fast as possible.  4 miles.  That would be as far as I go this morning.  Perhaps God was telling me to go home this morning, adjust, and regroup.  I kept thinking it would pass as I was running in mile 2-3, but it was funny that as soon as that thought would come – a HUGE clap of lightening with simultaneous thunder would occur – lol.  Ok, can I take a hint?  This little mental game happened a few times until I thought – I’m gonna get struck myself if I don’t heed this warning – I mean, how many times do I need to be warned?  Ok, I CAN take a hint, but I may need to hear it a few times.  Hard headed?  Maybe.  But not stupid.
So here I am.  3 hours later, on the computer, having a cup of coffee listening to the thunder and rain STILL.  I would have loved a long run in a little rain, but maybe if I did it I would have (1) been struck by lightning (2) gotten some nasty blisters (3) aggravated my foot injury (4) something else bad.  Time to adjust.  And move on.  No dwelling, just move forward.

No comments: