11/15/07

Down Time

Swim.
Bike.
Run.
Eat.
Sleep.
Repeat.

That's pretty much what I've been doing for the last 9 months. So now what?
Rest.
The season's over, and it's time to prepare for next year.
First thing on the agenda - Take time off.
In my opinion, one of the hardest things a competitive triathlete can do is take time off of training. Yeah, I know it sounds weird to those who aren't in an endurance sport. You would likely think (and I can hear it from some of you now) "it's about time you stop doing all that stuff and give it a rest anyway!!" And you're probably right, but it's hard to just stop. It's a battle between mind and body. My body wants to rest (hell, it needs it- and i know it), but my mind want's the endorphins and the feel-goods....My body doesn't care about the extra weight and tight clothes(whatever!), but my mind won't let that go....and i feel bad when the jeans dont fit. I have to keep reminding myself over and over -- it's a good thing.
So...Now is the time for my break. I only get 2 weeks beacuse next year comes fast. And with such a big year ahead of me, I will need the running work thru the holidays. I can only hope this short time will be long enough for me to recover from such a big year. Sometimes it takes a while for those training "needs" to fade and become "wants" yet again.

No comments: