8/10/12

11, 10, 9 weeks and counting...

9 WEEKS TO KONA

I love recovery.  As a matter of fact, I thnk I am super focused on getting to each recovery day/ period in order to get me through some of the harder days. I get to do other stuff on recovery days (like blog, cook, clean, shop), and it gives me a necessary mental and physical break to prepare for whats coming up.

The past few weeks of training have gone well.  I have had the opportunity to go to Florida a couple of times for some training and a change of scene, and I am so thankful for that.  Sometimes, the same ol ride through the redneck backroads of Louisiana can get a little old...so the change was welcomed. 

It's a little funny though...no matter where you go, and how much you can change the scenery, some tings never change.  There are angry people in this world, and many of them happen to drive cars and trucks and don't want you on their road - on a bike or running.  I have certainly come across my fair share of "haters" in my life - the most personally hurtful ones are those who pose as friends at first, then procede to throw you under the bus when you start to see what's going on and respond...but, like many people I try to emulate, I have learned to manage those people, keep my distance, and realize that is not my issue, it's theirs.  All I can do about them is pray for their poor souls.  BUT, more importantly, the "haters" that scare me the most are the ones driving and feel a sense of power over another person simply because they hold an advantage over an exposed human being in their crosshairs.

And it doesn't matter where you are, these people exist everywhere.  Even in sunny Florida.  A few weeks ago, I had a near miss with an 18-wheeler in Port Charlotte, who I happened to follow into his place of business to ask him what his intentions were...lol. Guess what?  He was from Brooklyn, he was abrasive, and told me I was lucky he didn't just hit me.  Oh, and he mentioned that if he did, I'd be dead.  And he seemed ok with that.  He told me I didn't belong on the road, even if it is the law.  My life has no value to him.  That was hard to hear, and by the end of our conversation, I do think he actually heard himself speaking (yelling actually) and seemed a little remorseful for being such an idiot.  He did apologize to me after all....

Then there were some angry folks along 30A in Destin/Seaside who were pretty peeved I was riding on the road and not on the "bike path" which was full of sand and cracks and people walking and cruise riding.  Most people understand, but I think the majority of people just don't think about things throughly, and live in their own ignorance.  I mean, I ride 20+ mph usually - do you want someone riding a bike at that speed creeping up on you and your kid strolling along with earphones and your kid on a bike with training wheels?  I think not.  And sand, well, that's not a good thing either!  I don't want to crash, but I don't want to cause one either. 

To continue on my rant - I was running in Beau Chene back home just yesterday when I actually was assulted with a car driving at me (I was all the way to the side of the road, running into oncoming 20mph residential traffic).  The older woman who was a bit large was waving her hand like she was shewing me off the (HER) road - like I was supposed to run on the lawns on the homes in the neighborhood.  God help me with this one.  Anyone who knows Beau Chene knows there is plenty of room for cars and a runner on these roads.  But this woman was pissed at more than me, but taking it out on me.  I felt sorry for the passenger in the car - what I can only assume was her husband, and old man who has had to deal with this poor, angry, depressed, overweight and unhealthy woman his whole life. 

I am not sure why I think about these incidences so much.  Sometimes I get mad about it, but then I realize again, it's not me, it's them.  I feel sorry for those people.  Especially since I think I might have been one of them if I didn't figure it out so many years ago.  It's up to them to open their eyes and change for the better.  I thank God He helped me open my eyes.  Maybe I think about it because I am GRATEFUL to God for protecting me all these years while I have become a target for so many "haters".  Grateful that I am not one of them.  Grateful that he opened my eyes to see the RIGHT road  - the path to get me back on track.  Grateful for the many many blessings he has bestowed on me.  Grateful to have such a great family and some great strong friends and role models.  Grateful for helping me to keep my thoughts positive even when things may be going a way I don't understand.  Grateful for His provisions. Grateful that I can do what I do.  Grateful that I was able to unleash the athlete within and accomplish what many years ago seemed impossible.

Just Grateful. 

I may not have a lot, but I have everything I need.

No comments: