8/26/08

To The Doctor

MYSTERY SOLVED....

I am so lucky to know a podiatrist like Dr. Jay Groves here in Covington, LA. He is the BOMB. Check him out if you ever need foot stuff addressed. He has always taken such good care of me and knows how important it is to keep me running.



So what's the skinny on the foot? It isn't pretty....BUT IT COULD BE WORSE! ( that's my silver lining!) As soon as I got in the office, it was straight to the X-ray machine then that told the whole story. Apparently, I have a Ostracondral Defect in the Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint. Got that? Ha! I don't even know if I spelled that right. It was as plain as day on the X-ray and Dr. Groves picked it up right away. He went straight to the toe that my toenail is all messed up on (i used to have such pretty feet before I began to run) and bent it down, then pushed on the metatarsal and VOILA! OUCH!
BTW...this is NOT my Xray, but it looks like what I saw on mine. see the 2nd toe/foot joint? ooowwweeee!

So what does this mean? First, it meant a big needle and a shot in the foot. Now, it means wait and see. He says I can run this weekend (YEAH! 4 more days) and we'll have to monitor it. will it go away? NO. so it's there for good. Will it always hurt? We don't know. Is it new or has it always been there? we don't know. How did I do it? we don't if anything "caused" it. If I caused it, I am guessing it came from trauma - like that Degray Lake race I did when I lost that toenail and it has never been the same since...or some other stupid run move i pulled to save me from a blister. I remember that race in Arkansas when I was getting a blister on my foot, so I curled my toes under to take pressure off the blister area. This was NOT a good idea after all! By doing that I managed to mess up my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th toenails - the 2nd which is forever mangled.


Lesson of the day - TAKE the BISTER....Save a TOE!

No comments: