2/4/09

hey, there's ICE on my pull buoy!!

OH WEEE....it was a frigid morning here. Wednesday morning always starts off with coaching swim practice at 5:30 am followed by my own long threshold swim workout. This morning, it was 20 degrees when i left the house - and i would swear it dropped a bit while i was on deck at about 6 am. there was ice on the pool covers that were taken off the pool just an 1/2 hour before practice started....
you see, dowm here in the south, we all have outdoor pools - you can only find indoor pools at local universities - like LSU or UNO - both of wich are too far away for me to go to regularly. all the other pools around are oudoor, and a handful of them are heated. and thank goodness for that! The water was cozy, but I got a kick out of the frozen banana I had for a sanck and the ice on my pull buoy and kickboard. a bit of a chill between the legs when it was time to pull :-)

1/2 Marathon...

I ran the Mardi Gras 1/2 marathon - officially UN-officially. They sold out of the 1/2 when it was time for me to sign up at the las minute, so I was able to get in for the 5k - and I just kept on running. I needed the long run, and I wanted to see where I was since I have only been back to running for 4 weeks since dealing with this heel pain. The pain is still there, not as bad, but still there. I am managing it well and I think i have a grasp on it, but like I said - still there and I am keenly aware of that.

I ran a 1:27 and that's a PR for me. No one was more suprised as I was! I just went out with hopes of pulling off a 1:30, but once I got started, i realized i could just hover right under my threshold compoftably, so i went with it. that, in conjunction with the great cool weather - well, it just was a fast day for me.

So, I'll take it. It was a much needed boost for me as I feel like the training is starting to come together, but I have been doubting my run - not so much anymore!

An update on my friend Hank - He is doing OK, but is still struggling with the up's and down's of recovery. One minute it looks good, the next minute, a new challenge arises. He is still in the ICU and suffering for sure, but he is tough and faithful. He will get through this, I just know it.

Later....

3 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Hey there! I hope it will not be that cold for the 70.3 race in new orleans! Hope to catch up with you - I will be in April 3-6. I am guessing you are going to be speaking at the expo? Also, would love any suggestions on how to ship my bike to, and if they will have bikes set up on race site for drop off/pickup?? Talk soon.

Damie said...

that is fantastic about your pr! it is sometimes hard to know if you have the fitness or not, but now you can start the season with a pr in hand and that is powerful. Glad your foot is on the mend too. I am sorry to hear about your friend. I hope everything improves more swiftly.

Eileen Swanson said...

Hi!! Congrats on a good half. I just did one last weekend too. Fun times ;-) Talk soon?
E