4/25/12

I PAY TO PLAY

It's been a a little over a week since Boston and it seems as if I may be down for a while.
As I write this, I am at home in the middle of the day in bed with my foot propped up either wrapped in ice or in a boot. And as if that wasn't enough to stop me, I went ahead and caught some wacky bug that has given me a fever of 100-102 since Friday night. Total awesomeness. Not only can I not run right now, but anything requiring a heartbeat over 80 is pretty much out. so....now what do "i get to do?'... (other than whine a little...)
Upon arriving home, it was no time before the my podiatrist Jay Groves got me in to check me out. I love how well he takes care of me and sees that I get the absolute best care to get me back moving and running again.  There are a handful of doctors I deal with and recommend because they are not only smart and thoughtful practitioners, but also athletes or former athletes themselves, and Dr. Groves is at the top of that list.  He is without question at the top of his field and having him here in Louisiana has been a Godsend.

Xrays showed no fracture, so we are treating the injury as a possible stress fracture or big time soft tissue damage. He is leaning towards the soft tissue -tendonitis, inflammation, 26.2 miles of hilly torture basically, but we will check the xrays again in another week to see if a stress fracture does pop up.  I cant put any weight on the forefoot at all. If I do, the pain is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10, so that's pretty excruciating and I just try to avoid doing it.  I am in a compression boot and am on crutches which are a pain in the arse, but I think staying off of it as much as possible is the best and fastest way to the end.  I have never been one to take the easy route, so if this is the best way, however inconvenient or difficult, I'm game especially if it gets me there the fastest.

So that's the latest.  I'll keep the updates coming.  I hope in a week I'll be singing a new tune.

my Bum aches from sitting on it.  seriously.
So, It's chill time.  Racing and training is on the back burner for a while I heal and get better.  I will catch up on stuff I can do from my bum.  maybe finish some paintings I started after Ironman Florida last year...

No comments: