5/2/12

Out, But Not Down

It's been 16 days since Boston. 

It's hard for me to believe that I could run a race like that then be immobilized by a foot injury 20 minutes after the race.  What's even harder to understand is that it didn't just go away after a few days which I admit I was expecting it to do.

The past 2 weeks have been a challenge to stay positive, keep focused on what I CAN do, and keep moving as if I would just wake up one day and be able to run.  I have enjoyed the free time to get other stuff done, but frankly, everything I do in a boot (and even moreso on crutches) has been exceedingly SLOW and encumbered.  So, I really don't feel like I was able to accomplish much.

But, GUESS WHAT?  This past Monday I got the best news possible.  After 2 weeks in a walking boot and most of the time on crutches for pain & "just in case" it was a stress fracture, I got the news that there was NO FRACTURE and my foot appears to be in good shape, with fluid and inflammation in that darn 2nd metetarsal/toe trouble spot I have.  What a relief.

For a while there, I thought all was lost on the year, but maybe I can get back on the run before long and still salvage the year and get to Kona and Vegas via the Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3 in June in spite of this little speed bump.

So, sadly for me, Crawfishman is out this weekend for sure. The Gulf Coast Half Ironman next week...well, the optimist in me can't say I'm out just yet, although the reality is I probably wont do the run if I can get around without the boot at all by then.  Either way, this year I'm closing a chapter to a seven year streak as Overall Female in Crawfishman, and a three year streak as Overall Female at The Gulf Coast Triathlon in Panama City Beach, Fl. 

Bittersweet.

oh, right - planning my comeback for the TCHOPITOULAS BARATHON on May 18th. 
6 miles
6 bars
6 beers

1 comment:

Damie said...

bummer! I hate those injuries that just sneak up and you can't even see them coming. Glad it is the beginning of the season. Lots of time! Glad you are blogging again.