5/26/12

Tchopitoulas Barathon

                                                           My first race back. 

Chug a beer at the gun, chug a beer at every bar, finish 6 miles of this, then hang out and drink beer the rest of the evening.  I got this.  slow running, socializing...no problem.  HA HA HA!!!!!

This was so fun, and I am sad to say it took me getting hurt to participate is something like this.  I figured "why not?" since I wasn't running fast anyway, I might as well have some fun in New Orleans with NON Northshore people, right?  They were FUN!

well, here's how it played out.  I started off slow.  the beer was heavy.  first bar, I started to sip my beer and noticed everyone else was chugging then taking off.  This was an actual race?!?  How on earth can these people run fast with a belly full of beer?  so I chugged mine too (I got a little competitive I suppose) and took off.  I began to loosen up a little, still "full" of beer, but not a bad pace. 

Across Audubon Park - roots were not good for the foot.  4 letter words flying, but I survived.  Next Bar, I had to sip.  There was NO WAY these chicks were drinking the ENTIRE beers. this is what I thought.  I am ashamed to say I thought they were cheating.  LOL...this is a FUN EVENT, right?  What was wrong with me.  Could I PLEASE let go and not care?  Who cares if they were or weren't.  I was gonna drink them all and do the full race.  sip, sip, sip....5 minutes later, i was off.
Back across the Oak tree roots to bar #3..I actually felt pretty good.  sip, sip sip...I was passing people while running bar to bar, but they were passing me while I was drinking.  CLEARLY, I was not trained for the drinking portion of this event.  lol.

Bar #4 - again...sip, sip, sip...all the wile people I passed while running were slamming their beers and taking off.  time to go catch them...

Bar #5.  F&M's.  Pool Table.  I wanted to lie down.  somewhere between bar #4 & 5, I got hammered. I was toast.  sip, sip, sip, sip, sip, sip, sip.  There were people sitting down inside and outside - all along the streets lining the way to the final bar - finish line.
I was walking at this point.  I finally didn't care.  things were spinning.  and others looked as bad off as me. 

I made my way to the finish - well sort of.  I walked there - went the wrong way and completely missed the finish line.  I just walked into Le bon temps to get another beer and hang out with the party.  it was about 20 minutes later, someone asked me what my time was at the finish...I said "what finish?"  LOL

So I walked outside to the finish and filled out a tag and got my coozie.  I was toast.  Good thing we had a designated driver.

It took me 2 days to recover.

No comments: